As moms, many of us have been given the societal expectation that we must sacrifice everything for our families. And if you ask to have any attention or time taken away from your family and given solely to you for what you want to do is a bad and selfish thing.
But I don’t think that’s true.
Recently in our Balance VIP coaching program, we read the book, Not Nice: Stop People Pleasing, Staying Silent, & Feeling Guilty… And Start Speaking up, Saying No, Asking Boldly, and Unapologetically Being Yourself by Dr. Aziz Gazipura and I just have to say it really changed my perspective on not only what it means to be selfish, but also on the importance of asking for things that I really want.
If you’ve followed No Guilt Mom for a bit, you’ve heard us talk about our No Guilt Mom Mindset. Think of it as 6 rules we try to live by here. And 2 of those mindsets are clearly articulated in the book “Not Nice”:
Showing love for my family doesn’t mean I do everything.
I’m allowed to say “no”.
These these mindsets are so important to learning how to ask for what you really want.
In this episode of the No Guilt Mom podcast you’ll learn:
- How to figure out what you really are wanting to do (often without your family)
- What is the Scale of Selfishness
- What are the 6 Human Needs
- 6 essential questions to determine what it is that you really want
Here’s a glance at this episode…
- [8:40] No Guilt Mom Mindset
- [12:30] Scale of Selfishness
- [15:13] The 6 Human Needs
- [20:43] The Selfish Algorithm
Resources We Shared In This Episode:
May 2022 Balance Workshops– Do you feel like everything is so overwhelming? Do you ever beat yourself up for not following through or “dropping the ball”? Get the support you need to finally balance your own needs with the needs of your family with our Balance workshops program!
Happy Parent Checklist – This FREE checklist gives you the step-by-step plan to delegate more to your family, feel less overwhelmed and connect in a positive way!
No Guilt Mom YouTube Channel Check us out and subscribe to be notified every time we have new videos added for parents and kids!
Don’t forget to Rate & Review the podcast!
Check out our latest podcast episodes:
- Podcast Episode #144: How to Help Your Perfectionist Child
- Podcast Episode #143: Why Body Image Can Be So Difficult After 40
- Podcast Episode #142: Helping Our Kids Find the Positive and Be More Grateful
- Podcast Episode 141: 5 Tips to Stop Picky Eating Now
- Podcast Episode 140: 3 Ways to Declutter This Summer (from a mom of 9) with Jennifer Roskamp