by Brie Tucker, No Guilt Mom
No Guilt Mom Podcast Episode #129 Ways to Help Our Kids Calm Down When They’re Upset
No matter if you have a 2-year-old or a 17-year-old…one thing is for sure…
they will get mad.
And sometimes, you don’t have any idea what you even did (this happens to me a lot with my 13-year-old) to get them upset!
When these tantrums happen (I like to call them teen-tantrums) I find myself feeling frustrated, embarrassed (especially when in front of others), and sometimes even angry or resentful.
None of which helps either me or my kids. But we know 3 easy ways you can help your kids calm down when they’re upset. And as a bonus…these 3 strategies will work on kids of any age!
In this episode of the No Guilt Mom podcast you’ll learn:
- What is emotional dysregulation?
- How to help our kids (and ourselves) calm down and regulate our emotions when upset.
- What is emotional co-regulation?
- 3 easy strategies you can use with any age child in almost any situation to help them calm down.
Here’s a glance at this episode…
- [14:25] How to repair when you say something when upset that you wish you didn’t
- [17:12] WHy you need to acknowledge the situation
- [18:41] How do we co-regulate and calm down others
- [21:21] Why giving some space work
- [24:48] How to use distraction to difuse
Resources We Shared In This Episode:
Raising Kind & Capable Kids Challenge – A 5-day challenge that leads you in teaching kids the skills they need so you can confidently step back and watch them conquer problems on their own.
S.I.B. Journal System – Get the system that gives siblings a simple process to communicate without yelling or hitting.
Brain-Body Parenting: How to Stop Managing Behavior and Start Raising Joyful, Resilient Kids by Mona Delahooke, PhD
Happy Parent Checklist – This FREE checklist gives you the step-by-step plan to delegate more to your family, feel less overwhelmed and connect in a positive way!
No Guilt Mom YouTube Channel Check us out and subscribe to be notified every time we have new videos added for parents and kids!