by Brie Tucker, No Guilt Mom
No Guilt Mom Podcast Episode #92 How to Parent for the Long Haul with Julie Lythcott-Haims
When we over-parent and rescue all the time, we’re depriving our kids from living.
Life is truly an active verb. And when we focus on making things easier in the short term, we deprive our kids of the skills they need for the long haul.
In this podcast episode, we speak with Julie Lythcott-Haims who is the New York Times bestselling author of the anti-helicopter parenting manifesto How to Raise an Adult, Real American, and her newest book, Your Turn: How to Be an Adult. Julie believes in humans and is deeply interested in what gets in our way.
She shares with us how parents can sometimes get focused on the short-term gains and lose sight of those long-haul parenting goals. And in the end, it’s our kids who pay the price. We had some of our best “Oh crap! I’m an adult now” moments and how we found strength in them, just as our kids will!
In this episode of the No Guilt Mom podcast you’ll learn:
- What is “fending” and why it’s such an important moment for all of us.
- How getting focused on the short-term gains can kill those long-haul parenting goals.
- How “Life’s Beautiful F-words” -failing, falling, faltering, (giving) feedback, flailing, floundering, fumbling; build our kids into self-sufficient adults.
Resources We Shared In This Episode:
Calm & Happy Parenting Time to get your kids to listen and help out more without the fighting! This is your complete solution to shift the responsibility of “doing everything for everyone” to your family and to give you the kind of relationship you want with your kids and the entire family!
Me & My Friendships Book by JoAnn Crohn
Download the episode transcripts HERE
Don’t forget to Rate & Review the podcast!
We’d love to hear your thoughts on the podcast! If you could take a moment to Rate & Review the No Guilt Mom Podcast on Apple here we’d be so grateful! Not sure how to do it? We got you covered! Check out this short video we made to show you how to leave a review.
Check out our latest podcast episodes:
- Podcast Episode #144: How to Help Your Perfectionist Child
- Podcast Episode #143: Why Body Image Can Be So Difficult After 40
- Podcast Episode #142: Helping Our Kids Find the Positive and Be More Grateful
- Podcast Episode 141: 5 Tips to Stop Picky Eating Now
- Podcast Episode 140: 3 Ways to Declutter This Summer (from a mom of 9) with Jennifer Roskamp