There is something about eating crock pot lasagna that makes me so happy. The ultimate comfort food with luscious pasta layers, cheese, veggies and tomato sauce, lasagna makes me feel at home. This recipe is both delicious and easy since its all cooked in a crock pot. It would also pair well with a few salted chocolate chip cookies for dessert.
So why a crock pot for lasagna? It’s all about the noodles. The slow cooking time over lower heat brings all the layers together to form supreme deliciousness. Tomato sauce and spices infuse every noodle creating the ultimate taste experience.
Most lasagnas require an hour of oven time. With this recipe you can prepare it, let it simmer while you leave the house and come back to a home of italian scented goodness.
Before you assemble the lasagna, simmer some italian sausage, chopped onion and mushrooms on the stove until cooked through. While it’s simmering, mix a jar of marinara sauce with a can of drained, diced fire roasted tomatoes. In a separate bowl, stir together a cup of ricotta, a half cup of mozzarella, one egg, a teaspoon of oregano and a half-teaspoon of garlic powder.
Pour 1 cup of the mixed tomato sauce on the bottom of the crock pot along with a half-cup of water. Make sure liquid covers the entire bottom. This will prevent the lasagna from burning during cooking. Now to layer!
The Lasagna Layers
2. Dollop half of the ricotta mixture on top and spread it so all the noodles are covered.
3. Next cover with half of the meat mixture.
4. Spoon over half of the remaining sauce.
5. Break apart 3 more noodles and cover.
6. Layer with remaining ricotta.
7. Spoon over remaining meat.
8. Break 2 lasagna noodles to cover.
9. Spoon over remaining sauce.
Press down lightly to compact the lasagna. Make sure that every noodle is submerged.
Cook on low for 3-4 hours.
When you have a half hour left in your cooking time, sprinkle on 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and replace the lid.
- 1 TBS Olive Oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound italian sausage
- 12 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 15-oz jar marinara sauce
- 1 14 oz can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained.
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella + 1 cup mozzarella for top of lasagna
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 8 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- Heat olive oil in saucepan on the stove. Once hot, saute the onion until its translucent.
- Stir in sausage and cook for 4-6 minutes until mostly cooked.
- Add mushrooms and saute until cooked (4-5 minutes)
- In a bowl, combine marinara sauce and diced fire-roasted tomatoes. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix ricotta, egg, ½ cup shredded mozzarella, oregano and garlic powder. Stir until well combined.
- Pour 1 cup of tomato sauce on the bottom of the crock pot along with a half-cup of water. Make sure liquid covers the entire bottom.1. Break up three lasagna noodles and lay them on top of the sauce mixture.
- Dollop half of the ricotta mixture on top and spread it so all the noodles are covered.
- Next cover with half of the meat mixture.
- Spoon over half of the remaining sauce.
- Break apart 3 more noodles and cover.
- Layer with remaining ricotta.
- Spoon over remaining meat.
- Break about 2 lasagna noodles and cover.
- Spoon over remaining sauce
- Press down lightly to compact the lasagna. Make sure that every noodle is submerged. Now, cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- When you have a half hour left in your cooking time, sprinkle on 1 cup of mozzarella cheese on top and replace the lid.