Wonder how they make those popping boba beads at your local for-yo shop? Do your kids love them as much as mine do? Well, wonder no more. Not only is this an awesome science experiment to make your own boba, but it’s a simple one, too!
When I told my kids they would be making their own boba, my daughter replied, “You mean like the ones at the mall?”
Except less chewy.
Ready to make your own boba? Here’s the supplies you’ll need:
- vegetable oil
- Bakol Jel Dessert (any flavor, although I used unflavored for this experiment)
- slotted spoon
- eye dropper
When you’re ready, I have 15 Very Simple Science Experiments You Can Do With Your Kids Here
Popping Boba Prep
First, pour 2 cups of vegetable oil into a freezer safe container. Freeze for at least 40 minutes. Easy, yes? Just need to make sure to do it ahead of time.
Ready to make Boba
Mix 1 cup gatorade with 1 1/4 tsp of Bakol jel Dessert powder. Feel free to use different colors of gatorade so that you get a variety of popping boba flavors and hues.
Bring each gatorade mixture to a boil over medium heat. Take off the stove to cool for at least 20 minutes.
Now, time for the fun part.
Take the vegetable oil out of the freezer. Allow kids to fill eye droppers with the Gatorade mixture and drip into the oil.
When the Gatorade, hits the oil, a small ball will immediately form and sink to the bottom.
With a slotted spoon, transfer the beads to a bowl of cold water to rinse off the oil. Pour into a mesh strainer to drain.
Top Ice Cream with Boba
With just a few ingredients, and a little science know-how, you now have your very own boba. What are you going to put yours on? Or do you prefer to just eat them straight?
How can I have more fun, quality time with kids?
- Sign up to get No Guilt Mom emails. If you need someone to lift you up and empathize with you – while pushing to grow in all the best ways – welcome to No Guilt Mom. Plus, I send you a free gift when you sign up that will immediately reduce your stress.
- Enroll in Calm & Happy Parenting. Serious about changing the way your family communicates and deals with conflict? After taking our signature course, you’ll get more cooperation from your kids and WAY less pushback. Plus, you’ll create a strong family bond where your kids come to talk with you about issues instead of hiding them.
- Podcast Episode: Mom Hacks That Stick & Work with ADHD
- Podcast Episode 162: Finding it hard to relax? 5 ways to make it happen
- The One Secret to Get Kids to Pick Up After Themselves Without Being Told
- 7 Time Management Tips from a Mom of Nine
- Kid Backtalk: What to Do and Consequences for When Your Kid Talks Back
- Who else wants to be a bath time hero? How to make bath bombs with toys inside
- How to Respond When Your Child Manipulates You
- What to do when your kid gives up too easily
- Dealing with Temper Tantrums: The trick you haven’t used yet
- 3 Questions to Ask Your Kids After School that Will ACTUALLY impact their learning
- Talk Like a Pirate Treasure Hunt
- Pool Noodle Craft: Marshmallow Launchers