So many moms worry about whether or not we are giving enough attention to our kids, especially when they outnumber you!
We feel guilty for spending what may seem like a lot of time with one child and not enough with the other.
But is that really happening?
Are we really giving some of our kids (often the younger ones) the raw end of the deal?
No, we aren’t.
In this podcast episode, we talk with Lynn Berger, a writer, and journalist in the Netherlands, covering care, and author. As the care correspondent for online journalism platform De Correspondent, she writes about the various forms care can take, what it does for us, and what we need in order to take good care. Lynn took her thoughts and experiences of being a second child, combined them with her own thoughts as she prepared to, and had her second child, and rounded it all out with what the research says on the subject and put it together in her book, Second Thoughts: On Having and Being a Second Child.
We talk candidly about our own experiences as children with siblings, our own children, and the guilt that we face trying to give each child what feels like is never enough time.
In this episode of the No Guilt Mom podcast you’ll learn:
- How Lynn was inspired to research the effects of having a second child on the oldest child and thus write about her experiences (and guilt) in her book Second Thoughts: On Having and Being a Second Child.
- JoAnn, Brie & Lynn share how having siblings shaped their view of parenting both before and after having children
- How many moms hold secret guilt about the impact having a second child will have on their firstborn
- How we manage to work past the guilt and make the time we need to for each child…the best way we can.
Resources We Shared In This Episode:
Happy Parent Checklist– This FREE checklist gives you the step-by-step plan to delegate more to your family, feel less overwhelmed and connect in a positive way!
PG-ish Podcast– An unofficial cervical guide podcast to raising successful humans
Second Thoughts: On Having and Being a Second Child by Lynn Berger
Download the episode transcript HERE
Don’t forget to Rate & Review the podcast!
- 4 Big Lies You Probably Believe (& they’re making you miserable) Transcript
- Podcast episode 203: 4 Big Lies You Probably Believe (& they’re making you miserable)
- Podcast Episode 202: Overcoming Digital Parenting Dilemmas with Devorah Heitner
- Podcast Episode #153: Why We Get Triggered and What We Can Do About It with K. Domiana Ndour
- Podcast Episode #146: How to Parent Like a Spy with Christina Hillsberg
- Podcast Episode 116: Six Coping Skills That Will Change Your Kids Lives
- Podcast Episode 86: Parenting on the Same Page with Amy McCready
- Podcast Episode 61: How Logical Consequences are More Effective Than Punishments at Home
- Why Don’t Our Kids Listen Anymore?
- 5 Tips to Calm Your Anxiety
- Overwhelmed? Homework Help for your Middle School Student
- What to Do When Your Kid’s Behavior Makes You Feel Like a Failure