We all want fun stuff to do with our kids – but many times the kids activities we find are too complicated and require way too much work. Not these!
Using dish soap and a few common kitchen ingredients, you can create amazing dish soap science projects that your kids will talk about for days to come.
I want to be a fun mom. Don’t you?
However, I must admit that I get a tad overwhelmed. Many kid activities also come with a huge list of needed supplies.
Go out and buy this obscure glue from a craft store across town. Get this size (and only this size) of plastic baggies – and then of course your local grocery store is out of everything you need.
Let’s stop the madness!!
Here are three activities that you already have the supplies for:
- Pepper Magic
- Colored Milk Art
- Dish soap silly putty
Not only can you pull these items together in five minutes flat, but they will also amaze your kiddos. And when you’re ready, I have 15 Very Simple Science Experiments You Can Do With Your Kids here.
Dish Soap Science: Pepper Magic
On our recent Disney cruise, one of our waiters amused my kids with this trick at dinner one night.
All you need is:
- dish soap
So easy, yes?
First, fill a shallow plate with water and sprinkle pepper on the surface. Ask your child to stick his finger right in the center.
Nothing will happen.
Now, you act surprised and tell him, “Here, let me see your hand.” (secretly squeeze a little dish soap on your own fingers before)
“I forgot to give your hand a little bit of magic.”
Massage his fingertips with your own.
He will stick his finger in the water again. This time, his finger will repel the tiny pepper granules causing them to scurry to the edge of the plate.
Colored Milk Art
For this experiment, you’ll need:
- food coloring
- a cotton swab
- dish soap
For another magical experience, fill a shallow plate with milk. Squeeze food coloring in the middle of the plate on the milk’s surface.
Dab a cotton swab with dish soap and stick in the center of the food coloring.
Sit back and watch the color show!
Dish Soap Silly Putty
When you are all done with the magic, keep that dish soap handy and create a putty for your kids to play with on their own. All you need is:
- dish soap
- corn starch
I found this activity originally on Smart Schoolhouse. You will love how easy it is!
Simply mix together 2 tbs corn starch and 1.5 tablespoons dish soap. Stir for about 10 seconds. Pick up the clay and mix in your hands a little more.
And you’re done. Seriously, that’s it!
What fun will you create tonight?
How can I have more fun, quality time with my family?
- Sign up to get No Guilt Mom emails. If you need someone to lift you up and empathize with you – while pushing to grow in all the best ways – welcome to No Guilt Mom. Plus, I send you a free gift when you sign up that will immediately reduce your stress.
- Enroll in Calm & Happy Parenting. Serious about changing the way your family communicates and deals with conflict? After taking our signature course, you’ll get more cooperation from your kids and WAY less pushback. Plus, you’ll create a strong family bond where your kids come to talk with you about issues instead of hiding them.
- Podcast Episode: Mom Hacks That Stick & Work with ADHD
- Podcast Episode 162: Finding it hard to relax? 5 ways to make it happen
- The One Secret to Get Kids to Pick Up After Themselves Without Being Told
- Get Siblings to Bond: 3 Steps to Get Kids to Stop Fighting (without getting in the middle)
- 7 Time Management Tips from a Mom of Nine
- How to recover from mom burnout (without taking a bubble bath)
- How to win at allowance by NOT paying for chores
- Dealing with Temper Tantrums: The trick you haven’t used yet
- One Life-Changing Tool for your Child Who Worries Too Much
- 50 Healthy Snacks for Kids After School that require NO prep
- Getting Over Daycare Guilt: 4 Ways Your Child Will Thrive
- Backyard Pool Noodle Obstacle Course